Wednesday, September 17, 2008

I Am Here

I just attended my first day of one-on-one Spanish classes at la escuela El Mundo en Espanol. I have a lot to learn. The trip here went very smooth. I awoke at 2:30 in the morning on Monday, caught a cab to Laguardia, flew to Ft. Lauderdale, flew to Guatemala City, stayed the night at Hotel Dos Lunas, then took a 5 hour bus ride to Xela where I currently reside. I met a librarian (imagine that) when I got off the plane in Guatemala City. We were staying at the same hotel and hung out the rest of the day. We went to Zona Viva where all the fancy hotels are to find a place for lunch. And we found...McDonalds, Burger King, Applebees, TGIFridays, Taco Bell, and yes... some traditional Guatemalan restaurants. I also met, at the same hotel, a ski patrolman from Washington State... he works at Mt. Baker. It´s such a cliche, but it really is a small world. More later...

2 comments:

lteusink said...

Hi, Tracy, Exciting that you are there and out with the fellow travelers. McDs and TGIFriday? Sounds like you are too close to civilization! Keep the posts coming!
Laura T. of Tracy's Goodbye Party Triva Team

Unknown said...

Glad you're there safely. Can't wait to hear how the Guatamalan cuisine is. Hugs, Anne