Saturday, April 18, 2009

Lanquin y Semuc Champey

Anna and I met Joe, a friend of hers from Spanish school, in Coban on the Wednesday after I arrived. On Thursday we headed to the El Retiro Lodge in Lanquin where we soaked up some sun, played some frisbee, and lounged in the river.

Friday began with a tour of the caves near Semuc Champey. This consisted of carrying a candle as you periodically swam through water and climbed up and down ropes or ladders as we made our way through the cave system. It was pretty amazing and unlike anything else I've ever experienced.

Next we headed to a bridge where we had the option of jumping off it into the river below. I've never really jumped off anything very high before, but thought it was now or never. I do have pictoral proof, but the computer isn't recognizing my camera so I'll have to post later.





Off to Semuc... We were left on our own for a few hours and Anna, Joe, and I opted to hike to El Mirador before heading to the pools. It was a fairly steep hike, but only took 20 minutes to reach the top. From there we enjoyed a beautiful view of the piscinas of Semuc. again...pics to come. The afternoon was spent swimming and floating in water that was so clear you could open your eyes under water and they didn't hurt. I watched the leaves on the trees flutter in the breeze and listened to the sound of the waterfall (under water) as I floated on my back in bliss. Here's a pic of Joe enjoying the same...



The end of the day led us to a waterfall and another cave where the river flows through and rises above ground. We had to swim to and climb up the small cliff under the waterfall...and then jump off. Big jump number 2 for me. It was probably the same height or even less than the bridge, but a bit scarier as the river below had a strong current and was crashing up against a nearby rock. Thankfully I didn't hit that rock and landed safely in the water. Anna and I commented on how you probably wouldn't be able to experience anything like this in the states due to liablity issues. There wasn't really any survey of swimming skills and you didn't have to sign your life away. There were moments near the end, when I was tired and cold, that I thought I was going to slip and fall. But I didn't and I am glad I took the risks that I did. I had a blast.

Saturday consisted of another day of lounging before leaving on Sunday. It was a marvelous weekend. A great way to start Take 2 of Guatemala.

No comments: