Monday, April 27, 2009

Lago de Atitlan


Lake Atitlan is volcanic in origin and is recognized as the deepest lake in Central America. It is absolutely gorgeous...on a clear day. However, we arrived during crop burning season leaving the skies hazy most of the time.

Anna and I met up with Joe in Panajachel after the trek to enjoy some kick-back time on the lake. We made our way to San Pedro and found our cheapest accommodations yet... 25Q (about $3.12) per person per night for a room with 3 beds and a bathroom. After lunch (I had a veggie burger and fries in this super touristy village), we walked around a bit then sat at the internet cafe to catch up on email. That evening after dinner, I was feeling a bit off. I headed back to the room and was ill for the rest of the night. I won't go into details, but it wasn't pretty. Many apologies to Anna and Joe for having to share a room with me that night. I stayed in bed the next day and started a round of Cipro and Imodium. We were originally planning on leaving the lake the next day, but decided to stay another as I recovered. This all turned out for the best because that extra day turned out to be beautiful with little haze. We rented two kayaks and Anna swam the 1.5 km across the lake as Joe and I paddled alongside. I was feeling fairly weak, but was still able to enjoy myself and even got in the water at the end of the trip. The water was warm and clear blue...absolutely divine.

1 comment:

wind said...

very lovely, trace. bummer about the sickness, but at least you got sick in gorgeous surroundings.