Saturday, April 18, 2009

Eco Cabana o Casa de Anna, Joe, y Yo




A week of Spanish school...

Anna and Joe had been attending la escuela de Eco Cabana for several weeks and I decided to join them to get some more classes under my belt. Last week was Semana Santa and many people took it off of work to enjoy the holiday including the director of the school and the cook. We received a discount for attending this particular week, but had to shop for and cook our own food. Which sounds easy enough, but the school is located on a finca (farm) about a 15-20 minute bus ride from the nearest village of Chamelco...and that road is dirt, curvy, and up and down...which didn't bode well for my motion sickness problems. Going to market was challenging for me, but good for Spanish practice. I successfully bought fruit and veggies from the vendors, with help from Anna...whose Spanish is 100 times better than mine. I did get laughed at now and then, but in general, the people of the Alta Verapaz region were warm and very friendly. There were very few tourists...I can't even remember seeing any others at this point in time.

School was great. I felt like I was playing house with Anna and Joe as we were alone there most of the time when we weren't taking class. We cooked, listened to music, played cards, ran, and did yoga...and of course took classes every morning. I finally made it past present tense learning 4 tenses during the week! It was a lot to absorb and I need quite a bit more time to study, practice, and really KNOW everything but now feel I have the tools to continue on my own.

No comments: